Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Vegas, Baby!

Another episode, another hairdo for Nigel. Can he keep this up? And did Mary use the hiatus to get some Botox? I think she did...

 

Here are my first impressions, in chronological order, but in no way all encompassing:


So we started out with Alex Wong, who I do not remember from auditions but he was pretty stellar and remarkably strong. I would not be surprised to find out that he is one of those guys that karate chops through blocks of ice. Regardless, he was nothing short of impressive, and I kept wondering if they made him go first just to intimidate all the other dancers.


And then came Tony. Not sure I would have gone with a comedy routine at this point in the game. Then when they said they were in fact cutting people after the solos, I was afraid for him. And then he stayed, proving again that I know nothing. But really, I thought it was harsh to cut 45 people after only having a chance to do their solos. Oh, well. 


Speaking of being harsh, did I hear Mia right? Did she say, "I love cutting because I think people that are not good at what they do should go home?" Yikes! When did this show get so intense? Of course, I initially thought she meant "cutting" as in the disorder where you injure yourself, so the latter was somewhat less distressing.


Philip looked a little goon-ish during his ballroom and I was so scared that he was going to go home. I think I overhead one of the judges say that he still looked like he was popping, which he did. But then he steps up for judgement with those puppy dog eyes and I don't know how they could ever cut him. Alas, Ariel was eliminated, which I saw coming. She just doesn't shine as bright as Phillip.


What happened to  Natalie? Sonya used her as an example of how the choreography should be done and then she gets cut.  I wonder if the pressure of Sonya telling her that she already had it got to her. Maybe she needed something to reach for? I don't know. But she downshifted in energy and was a shade off when she danced for the judges, which just plain sucks. Then came her departure which was surprisingly funereal. It got depressing, like Grey's Anatomy depressing. People were crying, they busted out the sad tunes. They don't shoot you if you get eliminated, do they? She made quite the impression for someone who was not even in the Top 20. Maybe that means she should not have been let go....


Gabi made for some good television. I guess they liked her more than Natalie because she had a chance to redeem herself, and she did. You can always count on Lil' C to sum it up, and he did when he said, "That is how you dance for your life," because she brought it and proved she should be allowed to stay. And double props for giving a good performance after Debbie Allen tears you to shreds and tells you how much of a disappointment you are. That could not have been easy.


Then they cut  crazy haired Sammy. Why do they make us like people just to let them go?


I don't have a lot to say about the group choreography exercise. Was that really an effective way to find out who the best dancers are? I feel like all the people that got cut as a result of that portion were cut unjustly. The only good thing that came from that was that we got to see Adam "Shanky" Shankman do the most effeminate "touchdown!" ever. Love you Shanky.


And then came contemporary, or "the bloodbath." I think my favorite part was watching Evan dance it.  And then Mia made him flea hop for his life! And he scooted his little butt around that stage like it was the most important thing he was ever going to do. 


I cannot believe they let Bianca go! And either could she. She was pissed. Like, "I am not coming back next year" pissed.  I wonder if she will hold true to that. But I can understand her pain, because she looked like she really belonged in the Top 20.


I must admit I got a little wound up in the show and did a lot more watching than writing towards the end, so my final thoughts are going to be a little abrupt.  Which is to say, that's all I have to say, but I will write more tomorrow.


What did you think. Let's talk.....


1 comment:

  1. The great thing about this blog is that I can still vicariously experience "So You Think You Can Dance," even though Comcast recently cut my free cable. Question: did it look like he was "popping" or "pooping?"

    ReplyDelete