Thursday, June 11, 2009

Best First Night Ever

Seriously? That was an amazing first night. I mean amazing. There was not one couple that I did not want to vote for. Everybody brought it. It's going to be really interesting to see who America did and did not vote for.

Wait. I just remembered that Vitolio did not do so well. He was okay, but he was definitely holding back, and playing it safe. It was probably nerves, as I am sure dancing in front of a huge audience for the first time must be super intimidating. Of course, I will be devastated if he goes home because he has the cutest personality ever. Remember  the final night in Vegas when he referred to his last time in front of the judges as a "diarrhea moment." Hysterical.

I also officially love Jonathan who somehow passed my radar until last night. He was so cute and such a good dancer. I loved everything about his and Karla's routine. Loved the music, loved the costumes, loved the lighting. Loved everything. Loved it. 

Randi is married! That is a first, right?

I take back everything I have said (and all the bad things I have been thinking) about Paris. She brought it to her routine. I could not take my eyes off of her. She totally out shined Tony every second of that routine. Note: I don't think it's fair for the judges to criticize their costumes, it's not like they pick them out themselves. 

Ashley and Kupono. Talk about doing the best with what you are given. I was a little skeptical when I heard they were going to be crash test dummies, and then I was ready for the worst when I saw how they were made up. But they did it. They danced superbly. I should have never doubted you Wade :)

Melissa is 29? Hello!

For a show that thrives on being contemporary if not ahead of the curve on trends, I was surprised that Mandy Moore chose a Karl Marx song for Melissa and Ade to dance to. "Right There Waiting for You?" I am pretty sure that used to be my mom's favorite song. Whatever, they did awesome anyway. But if they get sent home, we will know why...."whatever it takes, or how my heart breaks...."

I don't know what was better, Kayla and Max's performance, or Shanky's reaction. Their routine was sick, and the music was perfect. It did not look like your typical first night routine. It was just so much better than that. Which was of course why all the judges lost it.

On a parting note, I want to say that I give Mary a lot of credit for making a joke about her Botox, and even though she is fit for a straight jacket, I wouldn't want her any other way :)


4 comments:

  1. Great blog! I've been a lover of this show from day 1 and enjoy talking about it with other fans. Last night the only routine I DIDN'T like was Asuka and Tony. The rest of em blew me away. And is it just me, or does Mary seem drunk? I would know because I reacted the exact same way she did, and I was drinking :)
    But the crash test dummies!? AWESOME - how wonderful is the mind of Wade Robson... (and Mia, and Tyce and all of em!)
    I just wish I could record all of these on dvd and watch them over and over...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you have this blog, I'll be checking back. I somehow missed SYTYCD the 1st season, but I've been a HUGE fan from Season 2 on. This seasons dancers are awesome, I think it's going to be an incredible season. And one of the things that makes this show so spectacular is not only the incredibly talented dancers, but the fantastic choreographers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really great blog, I agree with you absolutley about Paris, please let her stay :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome first night. i agree mary's botox comment was hysterical. i don't think she really meant to blurt that out, but at least she could laugh about it. mary can be over the top, but she's keeps it fun and does have some real grit behind her critiques. she did seem full of screams last night, but it was a totally amazing night.

    i was sad vitioli and tony didn't do so well as i really like their personalities. you're so right - how does admitting "diarrhea moment" not totally win you over? i hope vitioli has a better night next week. i was sad to see tony go, but his dancing really wasn't as up to par as the others.

    ReplyDelete