Thursday, June 25, 2009

Hey Toni! (Clap, Clap, Clap)

Toni Basil is a certified lunatic. I can only assume that hat was filled with crack, which she subsequently smoked during the commercial breaks. 

Karla redeemed herself in my eyes this week. She was very comfortable with the hip hop and her confidence won her some points with me. Toni was dead on when she categorized Jonathan's gangster persona as "store bought." But doesn't a little bit of that fall on the choreographer? Why didn't he instill in Jonathan the right attitude for the dance?

I clearly had to pour myself a drink when Nigel started talking about the "fear" and "danger" associated with hip hop, which was a complete contradiction of what he said last week in defense of Kaitlin and Jason. I've got my eyes on you Nigel.

However, I secretly love when Nigel gets indignant with the audience. "Do you want to take bets? Do you want to take bets? I'll take bets with you." Ha! 

As much as it pains me, it is time for Vitolio to go home. I don't care that he is really sweet with Asuka. Part of me feels that whole exchange was meant to be a distraction from their  mediocre dancing. 

Melissa and Ade were absolutely magnificent last night. I don't think I have ever liked the Rumba before seeing them do it. That was a Hot Tamale train performance. How does cute little Tony Meredith come up with these ultra sensual routines?

Can I just mention again how great Brandon and Janette's disco was? I had kind of forgotten it, and then they showed the clip and I was like, "Oh, that's right, they absolutely crushed it last week."

This week's routine was crazy awesome as well. They are a force to be reckoned with and have clearly found a niche in these high energy numbers. It's hard to say who I think is the stronger couple, Ade and Melissa or Janette and Brandon, because they are both really strong in different ways. I am torn. 

As far as Kayla and Kupono, I am with Nigel. It was well done. It looked elegant and beautiful, but it does not make me want to pick up my phone.

Did you see that France spoke this episode! I had assumed that Jean Marc had cut out her tongue years ago. They strike me as that type of couple. 

I don't know what to say about Randi and Evan. They are always great, but there is something missing. They are both so...innocent? Plain? They are technically brilliant, and have great personality, but I fear that their downfall might be that they are too "All American." Yet, I love them. 

I'm so done with Jason and Kaitlin. Let's move on with our lives. In comparison with the other couples, they are all kinds of mediocre. Yes, we all enjoyed the Bollywood number, but let's get serious. They need to go. 

Man, the judges are not afraid to tear Phillip apart. The poor guy is covered in feathers with his underwear showing and Nigel is telling him that people are going to stop loving him. I suppose I am luke warm about Phillip and Jeanine. I don't want them to go home, yet I am not inspired by their routines. Which is fine at this point in the competition, but will obviously be detrimental with fewer couples. 

Here is my current ranking of couples:
1. Brandon/Jeanette tied with Ade/Melissa
2. Evan/Randi
3. Kayla/Kupono (because of Kayla)
4. Phillip/Jeanine
5. Karla/Jonathan
6. Caitlin/Jason
7. Vitolio/Asuka

I am the worst at guessing who is going home, but if I had to, I would say Jonathan and Caitlin. 

We shall see...

2 comments:

  1. I'm really hoping Auska is the next female to go... the judges are way too easy on her and she has never really impressed me a whole lot in non-ballroom dances.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never realized how crazy fantastic Toni is! You are so right about the hat :) And I love how she was dispensing the looniest comments ever and yet had the sauce to call Jean Marc out for PUSHING THE ENVELOPE by doing a barefoot waltz. She was hilarious.

    As for dancing, the paso was kind of terrible and I think the rhumba and the cute little Tice-ness at the end were my faves :)

    ReplyDelete