Thursday, July 23, 2009

So You Think You Can Make It To The Top 6

Last night we had two new judges, Ellen Degeneres, and Dr. Nigel Lythgoe. Congratulations Nigel. Though, honorary degrees have about as much value as monopoly money, so I would not exactly go around town telling people you are a doctor. Someone is going to want you to do CPR on their husband and you are going to end up tap dancing at their funeral.

I was originally truly excited about Ellen being on the show, but I am not sure it was executed properly. Instead of giving an honest, non professional opinion, Ellen opted for making very scripted jokes. I think it was a wasted opportunity. Most of the people who watch the show are amateurs or non-dancers, who I think would appreciate having a voice like theirs on the panel. The exception being when she spoke about Evan's uniqueness. I was totally moved by her words and completely refreshed by her admiration for someone who does not have the traditional look. 

That being said, could someone pleases stop putting Evan in those shirts with the plunging necklines? They were not meant for his body type and he comes off looking ridiculous. I understand that it is a traditional look for certain dances, but certainly someone who dresses people for a living can find a suitable alternative. 

As for the dancing, it was not a very impressive show. Most of the performances were a total yawn. Which left room for Kayla and Jason to breakthrough as the strongest couple. I thought their Broadway routine was excellent (complete with Mia telling Kayla show was made for Broadway) and of course their hip hop routine was one of the best we have seen so far (Nigel mirrored my thoughts when he said that overall the hip hop has been weak this season). 

Janette was pretty fiery in her first routine with Evan, but the second one was just painful. The music was way too slow. I'm just expecting a lot more a this point in the show. 

Brandon and Jeanine did not have a good first routine. There were a ton of hiccups and it just did not work. Very surprising for dancers of their caliber. Someone needs to explain to me why they got such rave reviews on their hip hop piece. The song did not move me at all (as opposed to the Citizen Cope song that Jeanine used in her solo which was awesome). Apparently the choreographer was some kind of gift from God, but impressed me she did not. It was a lot of kicking and Jeanine trying to look angry. Next. 

Melissa and Ade also started out very weak. When we have seen them do so well, when they have set the bar so high for themselves as a couple, they cannot come out and do a tired routine like that and not have it be glaringly obvious that they under performed. 

I was very nervous when Tasty Oreo said he was "compelled to talk about breast cancer." I was also very nervous when I saw Melissa wearing a head scarf. Cancer is as serious subject as the come and if handled incorrectly, everyone involved would look stupid. That was not the case.  I think Melissa was put on this show, if not this earth, to dance that piece. No one could have done it but her. Her slim figure, pale skin and mature face made her a surprisingly realistic depiction of cancer patient. And then she danced bravely. Her jumps and lifts were done bravely. There was a wisdom and courage to her dancing that echoed the qualities of someone fighting a disease. The strength we associate with Melissa was transformed into the strength we associate with a woman battling breast cancer. What I found most interesting about the piece was the ending. Ade carrying Melissa off into a white light came off as a metaphor for her death. Perhaps that was not Tyce's intention. Nevertheless, a truly moving piece. 

So, who goes home. Surely Melissa and Ade have to be safe. It should be Jason's turn to go home, but he actually seems to be getting better each week. Perhaps it is time for Evan to go home. While he has inarguably the best solos each week, a master of his own style, he is not rising to the occasion in other genres. But I think Ellen's heartfelt speech may have earned him some extra phone calls.

The girls are much harder to predict because they are all strong. I would say Kayla and Jeanette are the best. Which leaves Melissa and Jeanine. Jeanine did not have the best night, and Melissa had the best night of her life. 

Final prediction: Jason and Jeanine. (I accidentally typed Evan and had to fix it. Freudian slip?)

Feel free to leave a comment! I love reading them :)




5 comments:

  1. he he - tasty oreo... i like it :)

    also really liked the hip hop that you didn't love - i think jeanine is awesome and it seems like that choreographer must be notorious for bringing people to an intense dance place, which i think is what happened!

    ReplyDelete
  2. did u mean jeanine instead of jeanette? i think there r some typing errors. lol. i'm just shocked n pissed at the moment that janette is gone. i thought she would at least be in the final 4! and evan should have been gone even tho he is such a nice person, but definitely not as good as the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I wrote Janette instead of Jeanine like four times. The names are so confusing this season!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellen's canned jokes were so tiring! I felt like she was making a joke out of the show, even tho I know she loves dance. She should have just been herself instead of her comedienne persona.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I likewise was disappointed in Ellen's comments... they just felt weird and out of place. Some of it was funny and I know she's meant to be comic relief but as a dance enthusiast I think she could have given constructive feedback too.
    Really the only person I want to go home at this point is Evan. Even though I like his style and his uniqueness, I don't agree with the judges that he's up to standards in the other routines. I love all the ladies left and I was sad to see Janette leave too... they are all good so lets hope this week's performances are much much stronger!

    ReplyDelete