Saturday, May 23, 2009

SYTYCD Season 5 Auditions

SYTYCD is back, and I could not be happier. The season did get off to kind of a rocky start as my DVR did not record the first night, and it took me days to find a website where I could watch the episode. Eventually I did, and here are my thoughts:

I love Nigel. I am just going to say it. I do. And I miss him when he is gone. And I love that he is trying to make up for years of stereotypes against British teeth by having the largest and whitest teeth on television. 

I also love Cat Deeley, and I am glad that the show is staying with the same host. I feel like you cannot count on a show to have the same host season after season. Like, once a show gets popular, they are on to something else. But Cat is an SYTYCD staple, and I am glad to see her back for another go around.

Mary Murphy is, and will always be, a complete lunatic. Just because you are in Denver does not mean you have to dress like a ranch hand. But that's just how Mary rolls, so there is no use in questioning or criticizing it. And how fantastic was it when she started crying after the last audition piece (Brandon)? You've gotta love someone that can be brought to tears so easily. But if anyone was going to do it, it was going to  be that dude. Man, he truly did spend the last year getting ready for this tryout. He nailed it, big time. If there was a "Straight to the Top 20" ticket, he would have gotten it. And he is cute...bonus.

Speaking of cute, I really did love that little brother duo that apparently also swim together (or something). I would have loved to see him on the show. I think one thing that last season lacked was eye candy. There were no Danny's or Neil's to oggle and then google. It was all dancing, which is the main purpose, but it doesn't hurt to have a little crush to follow from week to week. Alas, this guy did not have what it took, but I bet you a million dollars we see him again next year. And his brother in two years. Unless one of them gets really good at swimming.

I don't know how much I liked Sonya Tayeh last season. I think I remember thinking that her routines were mediocre and that she added nothing but shock value. And I am now totally reversing my opinion on her because she is money. I loved her enthusiasm. She was genuinely having the time of her life watching these auditions. Her good energy was all but seeping out of my t.v and pooling on the floor. Of course, it may be a bit much in real time, because Nigel was visibly irritated at one point, which was just really funny. Move over Mary, there is a new emotional bombshell in town.

Let's all put our hands together for Natalie, Katie's roommate who she edged out in the final round of auditions last year. Have you ever seen someone so grateful for being cut? She was thanking the judges for letting her go and making her work for it, and she was totally sincere. This girl is great! And I of course thought that it was really cute how they brought Katie back into it, and had her on the phone to hear Natalie's good news. Is there anyway Brandon and Katie won't make it on the show? That would just be way too cruel, right?

That's all for now. More later...



4 comments:

  1. This is amazing! I am getting myself to the DVR immediately to catch up.... After taking a hiatus last season to recover from the glorious season 3, I think I am emotionally ready for a new crop of dancers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. katie! I'm following your blog...looking forward to all your commentary as the season goes on :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we need to talk about the people without any dancing ability who try out. The girl with the lightsabers? I thought it was a joke until they showed her on the verge of tears as the judges were tearing her apart. I actually felt sorry for the judges for being put in the awkward position of having to tell her she would not be moving on to the choreography tryouts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg i am soooooooooooo excited for season 5!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete